One of my favorite things about spring is getting the grill out and cooking in the backyard. My husband and I are partial to grilling with charcoal (yes, it takes more patience, but in the end is worth it!). We have tried grilling just about everything but not always with success. We tried grilling pizzas last year but ended up with charred crusts. This year we tried something a little different. Our HealthMarket just received a shipment of naan bread and an idea clicked in my head.
Naan bread is an Indian flatbread, similar in appearance to pita bread. It works fantastically as a pizza crust, especially when grilling. You can find naan in the frozen section of our HealthMarket.
Serves: 2 (makes 2 personal-sized pizzas)
- 1 package naan bread (each package contains 2 pieces of naan), thawed
- ½ cup pizza sauce, divided
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, washed and torn
- Light your charcoal grill, place the lid on and let it heat up for about 30 minutes.
- On each piece of naan, spread ¼ cup pizza sauce.
- Split the sliced mozzarella between both pizzas and top with fresh basil.
- Lay the pizzas directly on the grill.
- Cover the grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the mozzarella has melted and the crust has dark brown grill marks. Have a pizza pan accessible to transport the pizzas once they are cooked.
- These pizzas can be made on a gas grill as well. Follow the above directions on medium-low heat.
- These guidelines can be followed to create a pizza with your toppings of choice.
- We grilled extra pizzas and the leftovers were delicious the next day.