I’ve been a chocoholic for as long as I can remember. Whenever I packed my lunch for school, it always had a chocolaty component. Every year Santa filled my stocking with chocolate. Even the Easter Bunny knew about my love for chocolate. Right now I am drinking a dark chocolate mocha. With the whip.
When I had an assignment in college to give a presentation about a new-and-upcoming nutrition topic, I was excited to find something interesting about – you guessed it – chocolate! I was thrilled to discover that my favorite treat could actually be healthy for me! With further research, I found out that the health benefits of chocolate are mostly exclusive to dark chocolate. I was more than OK with that; dark chocolate has always been my favorite.
Cocoa beans are naturally filled with flavonols, antioxidant-rich compounds that promote healthy circulation and healthy blood vessels. Milk and white chocolates do not contain high amounts of these flavonols, so stick with dark chocolate.
- Angie’s Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Kettle Corn
- Angie’s Kettle Corn has become a hugely popular snack item (one of my personal favorites); I was thrilled to find out that Angie’s came out with holiday flavors! This whole-grain snack is easy on the waistline and is absolutely delicious.
- Chocolove Orange Peel in Dark Chocolate Bar
- Orange with chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations. This delicious chocolate bar is made with real orange peel and won’t last long if you decide to share it with friends!
- Brookside Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Chocolates
- This one has become a cult classic at our store. Antioxidant-rich pomegranate and dark chocolate combine to create a scrumptious treat that is easy to pack in a lunch or have as dessert.
- Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk
- For anyone trying dairy-alternative milks, this is a must-have. Have a glass with your breakfast to jump-start your day!
- Caribou Northern Lite Dark Chocolate Mocha
- I’m a bit spoiled, considering I have a Caribou Coffee at my Hy-Vee store. Dark chocolate mochas are one of my favorites (especially in the winter). This protein-rich beverage packs a delightful dark chocolaty punch that will make you want to write about chocolate (yes, sipping on my mocha made me want to write about chocolate).
Readers, what are your favorite dark chocolate treats?