Incorporating healthy snacks into your daily routine is a great way to keep your metabolism revved, blood sugars stable and your appetite curbed. The only problem is, if it is not convenient to eat a healthy snack, most will grab whatever is easiest such as a candy bar, bag of chips or can of pop. Eating these empty-calorie junk food snacks not only pack on the pounds, but they can make you feel sluggish the rest of the day. What is the solution? Finding easy, on-the-go snacks that are healthy! Here are some of my favorites:
- These gluten-free, fiber- and protein-packed snack bars will not only keep you feeling full, but they are tasty and come in over 15 flavors. They are all-natural and wholesome snacks that also come in low-sugar varieties.
9. Luna bars
- Another great snack bar choice, these bars are high in protein and fiber and have more of that “candy bar” taste many people crave.
8. String cheese and grapes
- You’ll get protein from the cheese and fiber from the grapes!
- Almonds, walnuts and pistachios are the most popular, but even pecans are a great choice. These nuts are heart-healthy when consumed in moderation; eat about the size of a Post-It note. Pre-portion into snack-sized baggies to avoid over-consumption and excessive calories.
6. Cottage cheese
- You can add your favorite fruit to this high-protein snack. Opt for the 1% milk fat variety.
- My favorite chip of all time – FSTG chips come in many flavors, are gluten-free, made with whole grains and have “healthy extras” such as flax and sesame seeds. Hummus is a “dip” make with chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans) that adds flavor and fiber to your snack.
4. Kashi bars
- Kashi is one of my all-time favorite brands – they have high-quality products that are made with whole grains and are higher in protein than their competitors. My favorite Kashi bar is the dark chocolate and cherry chewy granola bar.
3. Banana with almond butter
- Get your fix with a nutrient-rich banana and high-protein almond butter. Earth Balance is my favorite brand of almond butter; it contains flax seed for a nutritional boost and a touch of agave for taste.
2. Chobani Greek yogurt
- If you have read any of my other blogs, enough said.
1. Apple with peanut butter
- This is a great snack to have at your desk. Apples are a low-calorie snack packed with heart-healthy soluble fiber; the peanut butter adds some protein to help keep you feeling full.
Readers – share your favorite healthy on-the-go snacks!