I am often asked the following question at work, “I’ve been hearing a lot about Greek yogurt; what is the benefit of it?” and “What is Greek yogurt?” Well, here are some answers that I hope will get you on the Greek yogurt bandwagon.
Greek yogurt is made with cow’s milk (not goat’s, as is often believed) that is strained extensively to remove the liquid portion (the whey) as well as much of the lactose. This contributes to the thick, creamy texture of Greek yogurt as well as the high protein content. Greek yogurt has twice the protein as conventional yogurt, which will help keep you feeling full longer.
Here are the benefits of Greek yogurt:
- Taste: has a thick, creamy texture
- Protein: contains twice as much protein as conventional yogurt, usually about 14-16 grams per 6 ounces
- Lactose: ideal for lactose-intolerant individuals, with some brands being 99% lactose-free
- Fat: most Greek yogurts are fat-free or low-fat
- Probiotics: as with any yogurt that contains live and active cultures, it helps keep your digestive tract in-check
- Weight management: due to the high protein content and low calorie content, it is a great choice for those trying to lose weight
All this being said, not all Greek yogurt is created equal. There are certain brands that have high amounts of added sugar and saturated fat. My favorite and dietitian-approved brand is Chobani, which offers both 0%- and 2%-fat varieties. Chobani has over 16 flavors of Greek yogurt as well as Chobani Champions, a Greek yogurt make especially for kids.
For a delicious breakfast parfait using Greek yogurt, place Chobani Greek yogurt at the bottom of a bowl, add Kashi Go Lean cereal and top with fresh fruit. This high-protein start to your day will keep you feeling full and energized!